17 January 2016

Weakness or Meekness?

I read Ephesians 4:1-2 again.  Paul tells us to "Walk...with...gentleness"
But what does that mean?  Does it mean that I am always quiet even when someone is saying things about God or things I feel strongly about that I should keep my mouth shut and never talk about it?

Well, while researching this verse & the words & the original meanings, I came across this in a commentary:
"Paul's writings defy any strict organization, due to the nature of their composition as dictated epistles. Nevertheless, there is certainly a broad outline in evidence here, the first three chapters dealing with Christian doctrine, and the last three with Christian morality and behavior. Of course, there is some mingling of the two.  It should be noted that Paul placed doctrine first. All human morality derives from the authority of God; and, apart from mortal responsibility to the Creator, there is, strictly speaking, no such thing as right or wrong conduct, immorality or morality! This underlies the total helplessness of men, apart from God, to direct their own affairs. The ultimate authority for evaluating the deeds of people as either praiseworthy or blameworthy cannot lie within men, but must be grounded externally in the will of the Father in heaven. It was therefore by design that Paul first wrote of Christian doctrine, then of Christian morals. 
"This is the true order.""

So first, I need to be grounded in God's word.  That simply means that I need to STUDY the Bible [not just reading what someone else thinks a verse or verses or chapters or books mean].  I need to KNOW God's word for myself.  So DOCTRINE is important in defining my behavior. [II Timothy 2:15 ~ Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.]
The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., 2 Ti 2:15). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.]
 
"Walking" is frequently used in the New Testament as a designation of the Christian's total behavior pattern. To walk "worthily" is therefore to exhibit the kind of life that would do honor to the holy religion of Christ which they had accepted. Paul next turned to the character of the Christian which is necessary if the church is to fulfill her great task."
Meekness ... 
"Gentleness" [Gal. 5:22,23 & Col. 3:12, II Cor. 10:1]as a synonym for this word; "It is closely connected with the spirit of submissiveness." Moses was described as "meek" (Numbers 12:3); and perhaps in the character of the mighty lawgiver can be seen the true qualities which are indicated by this word. Certainly, "weakness" is not one of them. It does not mean docile, easy to handle or merely "cooperative." It refers to moral authority and power issuing in restraint as far as human temptations are concerned.
The Greek word used for Gentleness is:  
4239.  πραΰς praüs, prah-ooce´; appar. a prim. word; mild, i.e. (by impl.) humble:—meek
4235.  πρᾷος praiŏs, prah´-os; a form of 4239, used in cert. parts; gentle, i.e. humble:—meek
4240.  πραΰτης praütēs, prah-oo´-tace; from 4239; mildness, i.e. (by impl.) humility:—mekness.
Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 60). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software. 


It is the opposite to anger and irritability of disposition.  Another commentary described it this way:
Meekness relates to the manner in which we receive injuries. We are to bear them patiently, and not to retaliate, or seek revenge. The meaning here is, that; we adorn the gospel when we show its power in enabling us to bear injuries without anger or a desire of revenge, or with a mild and forgiving spirit; see 2 Corinthians 10:1; Galatians 5:23; Galatians 6:1; 2 Timothy 2:25; Titus 3:2; where the same Greek word occurs.
So far, I haven't seen anything that says I must keep my mouth shut & not defend what I believe.  What it does say & mean is how I re-act and how I defend what I believe.  Do I get angry and irritable whe?n someone questions my beliefs or what the Bible says? Or do I use this as an opportunity to "adorn the gospel" with my gentle & humble manner?  Sometimes, when someone questions our beliefs we get very defensive & part of that defensiveness is because we are unsure how to defend what we believe.  I submit to you that the reason for this may be because we do not spend time STUDYING God's Word and we have not learned how to give a reason for the hope that lies within us [but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; I Pt. 3:15] and there you have it...gentleness!  Gentleness is meekness under control...what is under control? Our actions, our attitudes.  As a child of the living God, my life should exemplify this.  So the food for thought today for you is:  Does your life exemplify gentleness, humility, mildness...Do we "adorn the gospel" with the way we "walk worthily"? I pray this convicts you as it has me.  

Get into God's Word, Study it so you Know it & can then Defend what you believe!

No comments:

Featured Post

Wisdom: Above Or Below? ~ James 3:13-18