07 February 2016

Psalm 34

This is a wonderful Psalm for a Sunday.  Well, for any day actually but especially, I think, for Sunday when planning to be in church to praise & worship God with others.

As I read the Psalm, I thought to myself,  there has to be a song out there!  Little did I know there was!  I will link it here.  I love music and it helps me memorize better so that is why I look for a song to listen to as I am reading the scripture.  I hope it helps you too!

At the beginning of the Psalm there is a title which says in part, "Of David, when he changed his behavior..." I went into Logos to find out what that meant with the cross references and I was referred to I Samuel 21:11.  As I read it I thought you know, the people in the Bible were no different than we are.  They had family troubles etc.  I think that the Psalms that David wrote were his way of journaling....writing out his feelings, his frustrations, his joys...just trying to keep perspective in his life, know He loved God and wanted to "follow hard after Him", teaching his children the right ways & being a king that honored God.  That's not 'gospel', that is just my take this morning.
The psalmist opens by praising Yahweh and encouraging others to join him (vv. 1–3).
Verse 1 says I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth.  The word bless [I did not know this previously] means to kneel:
# 1288 in Strong's.  בָרַךְ bârak, baw-rak´; a prim. root; to kneel; by impl. to bless God (as an act of adoration), and (vice-versa) man (as a benefit); also (by euphemism) to curse (God or the king, as treason):—× abundantly, × altogether, × at all, blaspheme, bless, congratulate, curse, × greatly, × indeed, kneel (down), praise, salute, × still, thank.
It then refers me to Ephesians 5:20 and I Thess. 5:18.  As I read verse 20 of Eph. my eyes strayed above and I read "...but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart." 
Heart is # 2588 in Strong's.  καρδία kardia, kar-dee´-ah; prol. from a prim. κάρ kar (Lat. cor, “heart”); the heart, i.e. (fig.) the thoughts or feelings (mind); also (by anal.) the middle:—(+ broken-) heart (-ed).
Giving thanks for ALL things in every situation.  Our music should express this.
Verse 2 I think would be a cure for depression!
My soul [#5315 meaning "I" or from my he] makes its boast [#1984 to shine, celebrate] in the Lord [#3068 because of what the Lord (Eternal Jehovah) has done], let the humble [#6035/6041 needy, depressed in mind or circumstances, afflicted, lowly, poor] hear [#8085 hear intelligently, implying attention, obedience] & be glad [#8055 brighten up, cheer up, be glad, joyful, merry]
 He then praises Yahweh’s faithfulness, describing a time when Yahweh delivered him (vv. 4–7). 
He continues with the benefits and demands of fearing Yahweh (vv. 8–14). 
The psalmist encourages others to enjoy the same sort of blessings he has experienced—to “taste and see” that Yahweh is good. Those who do so will be blessed and not lack for anything.  Nowhere in this psalm does David suggest that the life of faith and obedience will exempt the child of God from trouble (see vv. 4, 6, 17, 19). He does promise that, if we trust Him and call on Him, the Lord can see us through our troubles and make them a blessing to us and through us to others. (See 28:7, Isa. 41:10, Heb. 13:6.) He is also able to help us with our feelings (v. 18). The assurance is that God is near us when our hearts are broken and our spirits are crushed, whether we feel like it or not. This is not a promise with conditions attached to it; it is a fact. the psalmist tells the saints (v. 9) fearing Yahweh involves refraining from speaking evil or deceit.
Finally, the psalmist contrasts the protection that Yahweh gives those who fear Him with the destruction that comes to the wicked (vv. 15–22).
Barry, J. D., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Mangum, D., & Whitehead, M. M. (2012). Faithlife Study Bible (Ps 34:11–14). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

No comments:

Featured Post

Wisdom: Above Or Below? ~ James 3:13-18