I found several songs for this chapter so what I will do is just make a list rather than making comments like previously!
Psalm 31:16-17, 19-21
Psalm 31
Psalm 31
Psalm 31
Psalm 31
Psalm 31 - this is a musical interpretation of the Psalm
Psalm 31
Psalm 31
Psalm 31 - not a song but a dramatic reading of the Psalm (NIV)
Psalm 31 - a dance interpretation of verses 7 & 8
Psalm 31:9-16
Psalm 31
Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
Psalm 31
Verse 1 sets the tone for this Psalm. Intermingled are David's problems, prayers & praises. It's another individual lament but it has elements of thanksgiving.
This Psalm might be referencing I Sam 23:1-5 or maybe even I Samuel 32 but most likely it appears to describe what happened during the rebellion led by Absalom, I Samuel 15 - 18. You know the story - Over several months, Absalom led a campaign to overthrow his father, David. Even David's wisest counselor left him to follow Absalom. David learned valuable lessons:
I. When others do evil, trust God for His strength [v 1-3].
The God of truth will keep his promises. v 4 is an affirmation of faith. v 5 is quoted by Jesus on the cross and I Peter 4:19 used the word commit also. It is a banking term meaning "to deposit in trust" as $ in a bank. David repeatedly uses "I will trust" which means "to depend on, lean on". v 6 is quoted by Jonah.
II. When others cause pain, ask God for His mercy [v 9-18].
David desperately needed mercy. He was filled with grief [v 9]; he was sighing, physically his strength was failing and his bones were weakening [v 10]. He confessed any sin along with his emotional and physical anguish. People were treating him badly; spreading malicious lies that others believed - even close friends & neighbors. No one wanted to be seen speaking to an evil man so even casual acquaintances avoided him [v 11-13]. He felt dead - like a useless piece of pottery [v 12]. Soon the nation was poisoned by "the strife of tongues" [v 20] which prepared a way for Absalom to take over. Disruption of government, exiled King - all brought fear to the people; rumors abounded! But in the midst of all this confusion David said [v 15] "My times are in your hands" - a recognition of God's sovereignty. Not only did he commit himself to God, he committed his circumstances to him too. Can you say Romans 8:28?
III. When others see the victory, give God the glory [v 19-24]
David knew, although severely chastened, the Lord had "laid up a supply of goodness & kindness" for him. He knew God's mercies would never fail. Throughout all the tragedies of this revolt; rebellion or resistance to the established government, God protected David from danger. The Lord took care of the enemies' plots and the lies they spread & revealed the truth to the people. The goodness and lovingkindness of God was how David was able to get through the storm and survive so he could once again lead his people. But at one point David was ready to give up [v 22] because he thought he'd been cut off from the Lord [Yahweh]. "Alarm" is chaphaz and means "to make haste". David recognized he had reached the conclusion of being cut off in haste but the Lord showed himself to be faithful! When you feel this way, cry out to God for His mercy. He will answer. The courage and strength we need are available when we put our faith in the Lord. When all was said and done, and David talked to the people [v 23-24], He gave God glory for deliverance. He encouraged his people to live
21 February 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
-
I read a post on Instagram regarding New Year resolutions and God's will. They included a scripture so I got out my new Bible to see w...
-
my own personal study this morning goes right along with the bible study i've posted on Ps. 19. I am reading in Ephesians 4:1 which say...
-
Yesterday, I posted something about gentleness on FB. I am copying and pasting what I posted here because what I want to mention today goes...
No comments:
Post a Comment