I read these scriptures today: Numbers 23:19, Matthew 5:18 and John 8:32 (for some reason I was unable to link this verse but it says: and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free). All deal with God being THE God of Truth. Jesus is THE Word and THE Word is Truth. Truth will free me.
As I read further in Matthew, He says, (vs 20) "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you hall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven."
Scribes? Pharisees? Religious leaders (knowledgeable men - schooled in the Torah [God's Law] in Jesus' day. MY righteousness has to surpass theirs? The Bible says no one is righteous. What does He mean? I believe that what He is saying to ME is that because they had a head knowledge and it didn't reach a ♥ knowledge that it was all talk....keeping of laws...just to say they kept them. I need to look at vs 19 which says ... "whoever keeps and teaches them" ... Talking about the Law/God's Word - truth. Keeps > meaning it has to reach my heart and not just be something I know on an intellectual level, but something I'm passionate about. Something that's become a part of me. If it's part of me, I'll DO (without thinking) the things in His Word. His Word is truth. He is the Word - if it's part of me, it'll set me free. Free from what? Sin, bondage (of whatever, but also bondage to do the law without it being in my ♥ or a part of me). So that is what God is speaking to me for this year.
1 comment:
yup - total transformation! We cannot do it on our own righteousness, it has to be Christ's.
Post a Comment