24 July 2008

Short Note

I am reading Mind Siege by Tim LaHaye & David Noebel. While I know a lot of what is already in this book one thing stood out to me. The following is a quote from the book ~
  • Our unique checks-and-balance system of government would never have been conceived through secularism. It was borrowed directly from Scripture (Isaiah 33:22) and is based on the premise that human nature is fallen, not inherently good, and that power must be distributed or freedom will perish.
I really didn't know that [that the system was borrowed from the Bible]. I knew that our laws were based on the 10 commandments. Isn't that quite interesting? I also read that most present-day secularists would not be able to sign or defend the Declaration of Independence because expressions such as "divine Providence" and "nature and nature's God" appear in the document as the source of man's inalienable rights. Secularism contends that man and the state are the sources from which human rights originate. Food for thought, eh?
Tori called me from Rochester to tell me that on Tuesday she led a girl to the Lord. Not one of the little kids they were teaching in VBS but a girl she met on the playground/park who is 15 y.o. She was so excited when she called me! I am excited for her. It just does something to you when you realize "I can do this" [talk about my faith coherently enough that someone asks Jesus into their heart].

No comments:

Featured Post

Wisdom: Above Or Below? ~ James 3:13-18